Foreign nationals who intend to visit Iran must obtain an Iranian visa from one of the Iranian diplomatic missions unless they come from one of the visa exempt countries or countries eligible for a Visa on Arrival.
Moreover, holders of normal passports can travel to Iran’s free trade zones of Kish, Qeshm, Chabahar and Arvand without a visa for a maximum stay of 14 days.
Note: Israeli nationals cannot enter Iran. Those with an Israeli entry visa stamp on their passports (or exit stamps at Jordanian or Egyptian border crossings into Israel) will be denied entry to Iran until one year after the expiration of their Israeli visa.
Which nationalities can enter Iran without a visa?
Currently, nationals of the following countries do not need to obtain a visa to enter Iran and can stay in the country for the specified period of time:
- Armenia (for a maximum stay of 90 days)
- Azerbaijan (for a maximum stay of 14 days)
- Egypt (for a maximum stay of 20 days)
- Georgia (for a maximum stay of 45 days)
- Lebanon (for a maximum stay of 29 days)
- Malaysia (for a maximum stay of 15 days)
- Syria (for a maximum stay of 90 days)
- Turkey (for a maximum stay of 90 days)
Nationals of the visa exempt countries need to get a visa if they want to stay in Iran longer than what the visa-free travel program allows them.
Which nationalities can get a Visa on Arrival?
Iran Visa on Arrival is a tourist visa issued to visitors from many countries, including almost all of European countries, upon their arrival to Iran. They can stay in Iran up to 30 days. The stay is extendable by two more 30-day periods.
Visa on Arrival is not applicable to the nationals of the following countries who need to obtain a visa in advance:
- United Kingdom
- United States
Nationals of Afghanistan and Bangladesh should apply for a visa at an Iranian embassy or consulate in their country.
American, British and Canadian nationals need to obtain a visa before traveling to Iran. They must be part of a tour group approved by Iran’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Alternatively, they can have an approved tour guide accompanying them the entire trip. Their travel agency needs to provide a detailed itinerary of the tour to apply for a visa authorization code.
National of Somalia, Colombia, Pakistan, Iraq, and Jordan can save time by applying for a visa authorization code through HelloPersia Visa Service. After receiving the code, they can collect the visa stamp at an embassy or consulate of Iran. They will receive the Iran visa stamp at the place specified in the form.
A Visa on Arrival can be collected upon arrival at one of the following airports/ports:
- Imam Khomeini Airport, Tehran (IKA)
- Shahid Hasheminejad Airport, Mashad (MHD)
- Shahid Dastgheib Airport, Shiraz (SYZ)
- Bandar Abbas Airport, Bandarabbas (BND)
- Shahid Madani Airport, Tabriz (TBZ)
- Shahid Beheshti Airport, Isfahan (IFN)
- Kish Airport, Kish (KIH)
- Urmia Airport, Urmia (OMH)
- Ahwaz Airport, Ahwaz (AWZ)
- Bushehr Airport, Bushehr (BUZ)
- Qeshm Airport, Qeshm (GSM)
- Ayatollah Hashemi Rafsanjani Airport, Kerman (KER)
- Shahid Bahonar Harbor, Bandar Abbas